I’m often troubled by worry. Sometimes it wakes me in the night and agitates my mind. I laid out this little plan for overcoming worry for myself. It’s a simple plan, too simple some might say, but it helps me to focus on the Lord rather than on my needs.
- Feel and face whatever is troubling you and don’t try to avoid it (denial is harmful).
- Remind yourself that whatever circumstances you find yourself in, God is there with you. Believe that He can work in everything, whether good or evil.
Romans 8:28 We are assured and know that [God being a partner in their labor] all things work together and are [fitting into a plan] for good to and for those who love God and are called according to [His] design and purpose.
- Pray about everything that concerns you. Take all your worries to God.
Philippians 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God
- Only address today’s problems not those you imagine will come in the future.
Matthew 6:34 “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
- Remind yourself that God is with you.
Hebrews 13:5 Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you
- Be diligent in your efforts to overcome worry. Worry damages a Christian’s testimony and causes harm to the worrier.